Skip to main content

Ranting about this book that I read

 Book Review !


This is not so much a book review as much a record of how this book made me feel ! I came to fiction after a long time and wandered and got lost in the lanes of this beautiful island finding love and peace in a warm sunny weather by the sea !

That's the wonder of fiction that even though you know its fictional, nothing ever comes as close to being real and relatable as stories like these. The moment when Linus found out about Arthur and was torn between not knowing whether to trust DICOMY or Arthur was when chills ran down my spine because I know that feeling, a little too much to my liking.

Few books and just a few books, after being read create that void which is difficult to fill and sets you looking for something else, some other voice, some other words that can fill this void and this one was for sure among those few !

Lines that blew my mind away and are going to stay with me are..

"Arthur's smile, that quiet beautiful smile that felt like seeing the ocean for the first time !"

"Change started with the voices of the few.."

"Sometimes, you were able to choose the life you wanted...and if you were of the lucky sort, sometimes that life chose you back !

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

As we Part...!

This is all the courage I could gather to put down the avalanche of memories and thoughts rushing to my mind at the rate of 1Gigabytes per second..This is to the place which made or unmade me...K Forever! Living in the fear of having to go separate ways brings pain All my efforts to hold back and let go have gone in vain Every passing moment brings conflict and choices One last time is all I can hear among all the voices! Lost in the sea of where to be and what to be Everything shall pass and yet I want to hold on to thee! I shall never return and this is where we part But to thee I promise, we carry a piece of each other’s heart!

Ode to Chennai

Dear Chennai, As we part ways I wish to tell you that you are special to me. I know people from my part of the world won't understand, but its between you and me and the bond we share...  All I want to say to you is... As I landed here a year back, you opened your heart to me, You never demanded allegiance, you earned it from me With your soothing sea breeze and mesmerizing sunrise, I cocooned into your warmth, each day grew wise You were relentless at times, with blazing sun in the sky, But you were teaching me patience, so I now know why You got back on your feet, when nature struck you hard, With magnanimity and strength, you rejoined each shard I deserved all on my plate, you only served me sweet, Your Rajini craze and Murugan Idly, no city in the world can beat Not a single day that I spent with you, do I regret I always am, and will always be glad that we met.

Becoming a demanding reader !

I started reading as a casual reader, more so driven by the perception of reading rather than actually being driven by the need to read. I started with fiction, gradually drifted to non-fiction but never really had a sense of direction about what to read and hence largely dependent on reviews from co-readers to arrive at my next book. However I have lately started thinking about reading for understanding the world better, for creating my mental models of decision making, to enable choices and to understand concepts I think are far more complex than I can process. And in the process, make effort to remember what I read and also hone my abysmal writing skills.  Hence this is an introductory post of my first book review, to summarize my learning and understanding of the last book I read - Made in America by Sam Walton. Deriving inspiration from an article I read on Farnam Street , I will structure my reviews around the following questions and continue improvising as I go along. This