Skip to main content

Mamma...an experience in Chennai..!!


For this is what Yamuna named her and this was the only word that we exchanged apart from the word 'yamuna'. It is strange how two strangers connect in a bond so special, that even before they part, they feel the force causing a stir within..! In the past two months, the only source of exchange with her (mamma) has been through Yamuna and yet I am awed by her capacity to Love and Give. She is an important experience that happened to me here, she is a lesson to take. Let us know her better. She is around 65 years of age or may be more usually draped in a Red and Yellow Saari and mostly accompanied with that heartfelt smile, which you know can only make your gloomy day fine or a tiring day at office refreshing. She doesn’t know that the world exists beyond Chennai, and any other language beyond Tamil. She has never seen people who do not speak Tamil, and thinks they don’t belong to India.

For all my inability to communicate with her, she knows that I am a 3 times class X failed student (Thanks to Yamuna :X) and struggling to pass my exams. She has treated me well and she cared for Yamuna....Today my last night at Chennai and she is all restless knowing that I won’t be here the next morning. This is what amazes me, is it even possible to just be selfless, care for someone and not expect back, not feel lonely when they are gone and have the capacity to care for others again still knowing that they won’t be there forever. She does it...time and again...again and again...and I am in her awe...!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Preserve my core

Some ordinary moments jolt us from inside and leave lessons behind. One such lesson is here... On the lunch table, I was feeling jittery, irritated and trapped, Angry yet dull, my energy was sapped I wondered why, time was not passing by It then dawned on me, I had caused the melancholy You showed off, acted all too wise Your unsolicited judgement, I despise I let myself argue, to beat your pride The ripples created, crushed me inside I damaged myself more than you, because I now realize, I became like you I must learn the art, to avoid and ignore Detach from the pompous, preserve my core

A book that never leaves you…

The magic and misery that these books are...they consume you, churn you, reform you and make you a different person. One of such books is ‘When breath becomes Air’ by the late Dr. Paul Kalanithi. Books become special and precious when you can associate with them, when they bring alive your story or the story of a loved one. In the initial days, for me, it was a journey of courage to pick up this book and take a plunge into the corridors of hospitals and cases of brain tumors. Every disease is sacred, every case an emotion and every death a scar. I never imagined myself reading a book dealing with brain diseases and hospitals after my abysmal performance post watching movies and videos of Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s patients. This was a whole new escalation. It was brain tumors and cancers. On each page, this book evokes different emotions - sometimes it made me weak and want to collapse and cry sometimes determined to live a life of meaning. I gathered courage, each page wa...

This December Definitely !

This one to cherish these moments for a lifetime, a piece of love straight out of my heart.. I know no better words, though this piece deserves better, You must be grateful that I am not writing a letter  I must unload this overjoyed overfull heart of mine, I am brimming with laugher and my eyes shine Subhashree confirmed just a 100 times, if these are savings accounts In flight we learnt that winning is not the only thing that counts Appam at that place was the best meal that was had Walking past the scrambly route, we all were sunset clad We had wings to fly, we flew far and further Couldnt ask for more, we had Kalia, Gulabo and the Silver surfer Lions rock was a cake, how young we were The bus ride was not, that uncle made us suffer The crow at the station found an apt place to shit "Dont look up", I think we liked, though a little bit The overenthusiastic kids on the train, made our ears bleed But in Mr student, we found a friend indeed We all caught cold under a star stu...